Thursday, May 23, 2019

Yikes. I am writing on abortion.


I am feeling very conflicted about abortion law these days.

Don’t get me wrong; I think abortion is killing a human being made in the image of God.

However, I cannot agree with the absence of nuance many Christians bring to this issue, and often in a very unappealing self-righteous manner. As if a refusal even to acknowledge that while it may be murder, the killing of an uninvited resident of one's body (albeit a fully human resident) is not the same thing as killing an autonomous being. Both may be sins, but they are not the same sin. If you think so, then you are, in my opinion, wrong. Think about it some more. Think about why the civil law makes a distinction between burglary, robbery, and theft, and in the use of deadly force in responding to each of those crimes.

I could not look at a young woman who was raped by her father and tell her she must carry the baby to term. I would counsel her to do so, provide prenatal and postnatal health services, and arrange for the care and/or adoption of the child, but I cannot support the state forcing her to carry to term. I am compelled to leave it up to her conscience. She is a free moral agent.

There are all kinds of tricky theological questions that arise in thinking of abortion. Thorny God’s sovereignty in tension with free-will questions. But I’m not going there. We can stipulate that from a Christian perspective abortion is a sin.

That means Christians should not do it regardless of the law of the land. (It also means that some Christians will do it and that it is not the mythical unpardonable sin.)

However, we are talking about civil law, not God’s law. And when it comes to civil law I am an anti-theonomist. I support (or reject) civil laws based not on God’s law, but on the smooth and safe functioning of society. I think there should be laws against stealing, but not because it is a Commandment, but because society would be more chaotic without such laws. Christians should not steal (because it is a Commandment) even in a weird utopian society where it was not illegal.

I think anti-theonomists and theonomists are at least self-consistent, although at least one group is self-consistently wrong. But garden-variety Christians are hypocritical when it comes to civil law. They generally want laws based on God’s law in certain (easy-to-claim-the-moral-high-ground) cases—like abortion or same-sex marriage, but not on other less marquee sins. If you tell me you are for outlawing abortion and against the legalization of same-sex marriage because they are sins, then unless you tell me you are also for outlawing covetousness (which would most likely mean the end of advertising and capitalism) then I will view you as a hypocrite in regards to your approach to the civil law.

3 comments:

  1. I saw a tweet, which I agree with, that the abortion issue is not standalone. Both society and Christian circles do not adequately address sexual abuse. Society thinks the trauma will end with the abortion. Christian circles don't have a great track record of dealing with abuse. Both the mother and the baby need care in these situations. And for Christians, abiding by the law of the land and not fulfilling the 2nd greatest commandment is like saying, "I gave at the office." I think there is more hope to be found in supporting local crisis pregnancy centers rather hoping in politics.

    (Off topic, ever since I upgraded to Mojave, I can't comment on your blog through Safari but have to go through Chrome. Weird.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point about covetousness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:46 PM

    If you are camping out in the middle of nowhere and someone leaves a baby in your tent. Would you have the right to kill it or let it die and dispose of it since it's an "uninvited resident"? Or do you have a legal and moral responsibility to care for the child until it can be turned over to authorities? The child is not a burglar. Regardless of how it got there, it's an innocent child that needs your help and, under the law, you'd be responsible to provide reasonable care for the child. Who else can the child count on for its life? Are you only OK with exceptions for murder and incest then? What about other abortions that ARE killing an "invited" resident? Why should that be legal?

    ReplyDelete