Tuesday, December 12, 2017

I'll take "Unimportant Things" for $600, Alex



I saw this ubiquitous bumper sticker on the way to work. Not for the first time it occurred to me how wrong-directional this is. Christian: you should put Christ back in Christmas, not tell the world to do so.  Exactly for whom is this message intended? If there must be a bumper sticker (and there mustn't) I would prefer to see: What you do is a matter for your conscience, but as for me, I'm making Christmas all about Christ.

We are concerned with unimportant things. I have have had several Christians question me about my use of the year designations BCE and CE rather than BC and AD. It is as if I am committing the sin of insulting God or the very least an unspeakable capitulation to the culture. No, it is the practice that is gaining acceptance, so I adapted. There is no satisfying answer provided when I ask: "Why is this important? Does the bible instruct us to use BC and AD? If so I will immediately comply." No--it is just somehow a matter of orthodoxy for me to do so. Because reasons.

So unimportant.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder how many much of this is driven by civil religiousity where all we need are superficial signs of "Christianity" in the culture to make us happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW, I mentioned your post to L. She said that in one sense, Christ has always existed even before the incarnation. "Before Abraham was, I am."

      Delete
    2. L is correct! BC, on its surface, is meaningless.

      Delete