Saturday, October 15, 2016

That Makes Me Sick

In an interview with CNN's Erin Burnett,  well-known Christian Jerry Falwell Jr doubled down on his endorsement of Donald Trump, even in light of the revelations and recordings that have surfaced of Trump's repulsive behavior and attitude towards women.

Falwell's rationalization includes some apparent inside information that Trump is a reformed man. Falwell argued:

"I think [Trump has] been through a change in the last four or five years." Falwell said. "I think he's been influenced strongly by his children, by his grandchildren. And I don't think he's the man he used to be."

Yes there is compelling evidence that Trump has changed. Compelling, but secret.

Burnett asked Falwell if the allegations of Trump sexually assaulting women were true, was that something Falwell could forgive and if Falwell could continue to support Trump.
Falwell weaseled out.

"It is not up to me to forgive anybody," Falwell said. "I'm not, I'm not Jesus Christ. It is only Jesus who can forgive. And he can forgive anybody. All of us, we're all redeemable. And like I said, Jesus was accused of being a friend of sinners when he was here on Earth. And it is not up to us to forgive. It is up to us to decide who would be the best president of the United States, who would take the right position on the issues to make America great again."
“I’m going to vote for Donald Trump because I believe he’s the best qualified to be president of the United States," Falwell said.
Barf.

I can almost envision the Apostle Paul not being concerned about a man's character, but only whether or not the man could make Israel great again. Not.

The religious right who are supporting Trump are hypocrites, plain and simple. I am quite sure that they are not so reluctant to judge nor are they as quick to play the "it's not for me to forgive" card when when it comes to character issues in candidates from the other party. But Trump is given a "get out of jail free" card.

The argument "yes what he did was repulsive but I'm going to vote for him because he is good for America" is dreadful. What Trump did morally disqualifies him from the office of the presidency.

Only Christians can harm Christianity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment