Monday, December 18, 2006

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse

With all due respect and apologies to Art: I really did want to drop this topic. But, well, you just can't make this stuff up.

Professor Dembski, I thought, had taken a long overdue baby-step toward the high ground by removing the flatulence sound effects from his Judge Jones flash animation. I was wrong. It appears he was merely biding time until the release of his coup de grĂ¢ce. To console his minions he has announced:


Calm yourselves everybody. An enhanced flatulent version is being worked on at this very moment. I will make it available. I do want to say this for the record, however. Many people regard the flatulent version as unsophisticated and even infantile. I want to suggest that in this postmodern age the flatulence in this animation actually serves as a sophisticated rhetorical device that mirrors the subtext of flatulence that runs throughout Judge Jones’s decision. --Professor William Dembski of the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.


In fighting the good fight at places like Panda's Thumb, I was never at a loss for words. But Dembski leaves me virtually speechless. His blog now entertains serious discussions about whether or not Jesus would use posterior gaseous expulsions to express righteous indignation and to mock the Pharisees. Oh, and at least one limerick that portrays Judge Jones as a Sodomite.

I wonder if Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary will include mention of his, um, work in their new brochure. I also wonder if the listserv that Dembski moderates, while not permitting age of the earth discussions, now offers workshops into "rhetorical methods utilizing gas in the alimentary canal."

No comments:

Post a Comment