Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Phone Home

Here is an interesting little ethical dilemma.

Last week I spilled coffee on my cell phone. It now does all sorts of fascinating stuff when you plug it in to the charger, but none of which includes functioning as a telephone.

Today I went to Verizon. The clerk informed me that he had the dreaded good news and bad news. The bad news: my phone is only a year old and so I would have to pay full retail for a new phone--the cheapest being in the neighborhood of $129. The good news: whoever handled my upgrade last year (when I got the now caffeinated phone) did not enter it into the computer. The computer, it turns out, thinks I am eligible for a free upgrade, even though I'm not. He proceeded to add that while he wouldn't give me an upgrade in the store, if I went online they'd be nothing stopping me from obtaining a free phone--one for which I am not entitled.

Of course, I'm not going to tell you what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment