Friday, November 11, 2005

Cosmological ID Talk

My next Cosmological ID talk will be at Daniel Webster College in Nashua, New Hampshire on December 8. The invitation comes from their Campus Crusade group. Here is the abstract I sent them:


Cosmological Intelligent Design - Is God in the Details?

Biological Intelligent Design (ID) is in the headlines. In the Dover school system in Pennsylvania, a federal court case was held over the legality of a school district's adoption of a curriculum that includes ID as an alternative to evolution. In Kansas, Indiana, Ohio, and elsewhere similar legal action is unfolding.

There is, however, a less newsworthy form of ID, often called Cosmological ID. Related to the Weak Anthropic Principle, Cosmological ID posits that the observed fine tuning in the laws and constants of physics - the tight constraints that are necessary for habitability - is evidence of the universe's design.

In this talk I will present numerous examples of the fine-tuning observed in various physical laws and constants. I will also discuss alternatives to the conclusion of design. Finally, I'll examine the question of Earth's mediocrity, often called the Copernican Principle.

This is the fourth time I'll be giving this version of the talk. First was as the Community College of Baltimore County. Then at Christopher Newport University in Virginia. Then as a community outreach at my church. And now Daniel Webster College.

I'll provide more details as they become available, in case you happen to be in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment