Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Brilliant!

Shadow To Light has collected some quotes from the great internet atheists of our era. I think my favs are those from Richard Carrier:
At the very least, Wood cannot argue against the fact that I am no less a philosopher than Aristotle or Hume. My knowledge, education, and qualifications certainly match theirs in every relevant respect. – Richard Carrier
*barf*. And then,
I call everyone now to pick sides (not in comments here, but publicly, via Facebook or other social media): are you with us, or with them; are you now a part of the Atheism+ movement, or are you going to stick with Atheism Less? Then at least we’ll know who to work with. And who to avoid….. Atheism+ is our movement. We will not consider you a part of it, we will not work with you, we will not befriend you. We will heretofore denounce you as the irrational or immoral scum you are (if such you are). If you reject these values, then you are no longer one of us. And we will now say so, publicly and repeatedly. You are hereby disowned. – Richard Carrier
(Bolface added, dph.)

The latter quiote is all about Richard Carrier making a call to arms--evangelizing for the Atheism Plus (A+) paradigm-shifting, world-changing, dynamo of a movement that is as big in its own collective mind as Mr. Carrier is in his (see his first quote.) The A+ folks are really, really important. And they tackle big problems. Issues that are to complex for little people. I mean, just look at their forum!

One of the busier threads is Social-justice-aware eating (nutritively. low-budget?). There one poster writes,
I have the unpleasant suspicion that the higher dollar cost of eating healthier is--not quite deliberate, maybe, but certainly something that the powers that be are aware of and don't object to on the grounds that poor people don't deserve to eat healthy. I definitely recall that Romney's 47% remark criticized people for thinking they're entitled to eat at all.
I thought I recalled Romney's ill-fated 47% remark, I don't recall that he was criticizing people for thinking they were entitled to eat at all. But--this is Atheism Plus so I am sure they are accurate.

Here is another illuminating post. Projection: just is a 4 letter word. The thread is created by someone named rickymoosnton. Xe writes:
We cannot see through eyes of another. This is the root of much ignorance, what i call the problem of "qualia".
So, if i say, "I am depressed", an immediate response might be, you are "just" depressed. That is a problem they have experienced and know how to solve.
Thing is of course, as we all know, this fails tragically. Some people's depression is out of the normal range and has a myriad Of causes. People have different degrees of depression and what works for me may not work for you.
Assuming it is "just" depression could lead to the loss of a life.
So next time you hear the word "just", remember its a 4 letter word.
This particular A+ thread-starter (rickymoosnton) wants you to know that xe is not guilty of "ableism" but still has some sins to atone for. So xir tagline reads:
I am straight but was bullied for being "gay" in middle school. I have ADHD-PI. Mostly i am priviliged but sometimes adhd has been a struggle. i am in the closet about it because employers will discriminate if they can.
You combine this kind of critical thinking, with the Hume/Aristotle ain't-got-nothing-on-me intellect of Richard Carrier--well all I can say is buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment