Friday, February 22, 2019

I'll take that literal passage metaphorically, if you don't mind!

I bet you are expecting a discussion on creation? If so, sorry for the click bait. No, I'm thinking about a passage that came up last evening in my devotions with my bride. Here it is from Mark's gospel:
25 And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years. 26 She had suffered a great deal under the care of many doctors and had spent all she had, yet instead of getting better she grew worse. 27 When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, 28 because she thought, “If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed.” 29 Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering. (Mark 5:25-29)
This passage refers to an actual event. It is literal. However, I find that it is also to my advantage to read it metaphorically. I have so many doctors to whom I turn to make me feel better: financial security, status, credentials, career, etc. On these faith healers I have invested much--but I'm only getting worse. There is but one physician who has and who is the cure for what ails me.

Well that's kind of sobering in a Debbie-Downer sort of way, and not the usual way I look at things.

OK, since you be may looking for something juicier, and apropos the title but not the post, which of these timelines do you take literally, and which do you take as imagery?
And there was evening, and there was morning—the [first, second, ...] day
Does day mean a 24-hour day?
I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. (Matt. 24:34). 
Does this generation mean this generation, or does it mean some future generation with a sliding window?
For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works. Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom (Matt. 16:27-28) 
Did the son of man come in his glory within, say 40 years of this statement? Or are some of those who were present still alive 2k years later?
The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. (Rev. 1.1a) 
Does soon mean soon? Or does it mean millennia and still counting?
Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near. (Rev. 1:3) 
Does time is near mean time is near? Or does it mean millennia and counting?

If you take them all literally you are a YEC and a full or partial preterist. The rest of us mix and match.

1 comment: