Monday, January 21, 2019

Heaven(ly prices) and Earth

I can't recall the last time I was in a Christian bookstore. I'm rather surprised any still exist. But when I do think of them, what always comes to mind is a quote from the man (RIP) about whom I am guilty of hero worship:

My guess is that in the current Christian bookstore the simplistic books outweigh the simple books by at least 10 to 1. I've often wondered where Jesus would apply His hastily made whip if He were to visit our culture. My guess is that it would not be money-changing tables in the temple that would feel His wrath, but the display racks in Christian bookstores. -- R.C. Sproul, Lifeviews, (Revell 1986), p. 184. 

That quote is from 1986. Does anyone have a sense as to whether the Christian bookstore scene has gotten better or worse? Are they still the new moneychangers? If a book from Joel Osteen comes in contact with a book from, say, B. B. Warfield, do they annihilate?


1 comment:

  1. L refers to one bookseller as "Everything (that calls itself) Christian for less." It's a business. Talking to a few authors I know, from their perspective, publishing is a business. That's why it is difficult for orthodox Christian women authors to get published and compete against the fluff. Fluff sells better.

    ReplyDelete