Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Assurance Lite

At my church we are benefiting from a fantastic sermon series that plumbs the depths of the theology (and angst) of the Assurance of Salvation. You can listen to it here.

On a much more primitive level, I often turn to these verses when I am struggling with assurance:
For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. (1 Cor. 1:18)  
But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. (1 Cor. 2:14) 
I don't know if these verses are intended to provide "assurance" assurance, but they work, reasonably well, for me. The idea of course is this: no matter how much my wallowing in the mire and seemingly barren trees O' fruit cause me to doubt my salvation, I have never reached the point where I view the Word, the cross, or the things of God as foolishness.

No comments:

Post a Comment