Friday, August 04, 2017

I Evolve (or maybe devolve)

Here is, roughly speaking, how I have changed on various issues. Maybe this table will grow as I think of other appropriate rows. (If you have any suggestions, let me know in the comments. That goes for all six of my readers.) All scores are from 0 to 10. 

Already updated [added two bottom rows] [And another] 




1997 (*)
agree
1997 importance
2007
agree
2007 importance
2017
agree
2017 importance
Women can’t be deacons
7
10
3
8
0
9
Women can’t be elders
10
10
10
8
9
8
Women can’t teach adult Sunday School
10
9
8
8
6
7
Women can’t teach teenaged boys in Sunday School
10
8
6
5
1
4
The only acceptable grounds for divorce are infidelity or abandonment 1
9
9
6
7
0
9
“Reverence” in service is important 2
6
5
8
7
9
9
Lack of attendance is a Matt. 18 discipline issue 3
8
9
5
7
1
9
TULIP
10
10
10
9
10
7
The church should be EXTREMELY careful about whom it baptizes/gives communion 4
9
10
5
7
2
9
The bible is clear on the mode of baptism 5
3
2
3
2
4
2
I am right about the Gospel
10
10
10
10
10
10
I might be wrong about other doctrine
4
9
9
6
10
9
Theistic Evolution
2
7
8
4
10
3

(*) That's about a year after I became a Christian.

1 I would, for example, absolutely add abuse (both spousal and child) to this list explicitly, without the usual trick of saying abuse is a form of abandonment. Rather I would take the approach—admittedly so risky to use –that it is so obvious that the Holy Spirit, rather than inspiring its inclusion, places it in the “duh” category.

2 This is ill-defined. But I feel myself inching slightly to the right on the “anything-goes-hippie-church” to the “high-church” spectrum.

3 This does not mean that I think absent members should not be pursued. It is only that I don’t think official church discipline is ever the correct response for absent members. The examples of church discipline in the New Testament are for unfit individuals who want to stay in the body, not those who want to voluntarily separate.

4 I think the church should administer the sacraments properly, and should teach on who should partake, but apart from visually obvious cases (e.g., someone clearly making a mockery; someone who says they have never heard of Jesus, someone wearing a Satan-worshipping shirt or a Tom Brady jersey, etc.)  the church should not decide whether a person is sincere or acceptable. Rather, I believe, the burden is entirely on the person (or parents thereof) claiming to be ready. I think the examples in scripture make this clear, especially the case of “Simon the Magician” in Acts 8. There was a teachable moment. Simon was baptized. When he was excommunicated, the elders could have been instructed (for their benefit and ours)  to be more careful whom they baptized. Such an admonishment was not recorded. I always put it this way: I would rather face God when he was asking me “Why did you baptize that person who was not a believer?” than face the question “Why didn’t you baptize this person who was a believer?”

5 That doesn’t mean I disagree with churches practicing one mode or another. I am perfectly fine joining a Baptist church that only practices “believers” baptism by immersion. However, I would view it more as an acceptable, WYSIWYG tradition rather than as something that is demonstrable from scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment