Thursday, March 09, 2017

A Very Public Apology to Jerry Coyne

Over the years I made many posts aimed at mocking Jerry Coyne. Quite honestly I put him in the same category as the loathsome PZ Myers.

I was very wrong, and I apologize.

It is not that I suddenly agree with Coyne, I don't. It is just that I have been slow on the uptake to realize that, like another atheist I almost always disagree with yet read regularly (Ed Brayton) Jerry is thoughtful and fair, not ideological. I learn from such people, even if it is only to better understand weaknesses in my own positions.

Coyne (now here is a textbook example of the pot calling the kettle black) can be a bit snarky, and maybe snarkiness across viewpoints is not something I handle well.

Or maybe I was just a jackass. That's probably the safe bet.

If you read Coyne you will discover that he, a bonafide liberal, is fighting the good fight against the regressive left's attempts to destroy free speech on the university campus. And against ideology trumping science. I can relate to that--in my own way I try to fight bad Christian dogma that attempts to undermine science.

I hope he keeps up the good work.

Professor Coyne, please accept my apology.

No comments:

Post a Comment