Monday, December 31, 2012

I Can't Wait for A++

Do you have 400 channels of cable but can find nothing to watch? Well, I commend to you the newest, top-of-the-food-chain atheism denomination in the ever-expanding atheism stratification: Atheism Plus or, as it is affectionately known, A+.

For shear entertainment value, you can't beat the A+ forums. The A+ forums do not have a general rule about being nice to a poster with whom you disagree--no this place has a rule about complaining about the regulars not being civil--that is a serious crime known as tone-policing, although I believe only the privileged (at least along some "axis") can commit the crime.

As a representative example of their methodical, rational, scholarly approach to the important topics of the day, I recommend this thread: Seeking Stories about Sexism for Article. The thread is started by someone named backpackergirl. She writes:
I'm working on an article about gender inequity within the secular movement (advocating progress, not exposé). I've spoken with some great people (PZ Myers, Greta Christina, etc.), but would really like to hear some stories from women on the ground, both physically speaking (conferences and local meetings) and metaphorically speaking (forums, blogs, email, etc.).
If you've personally experienced sexism in one of these contexts and would be willing to "speak" with me verbally or digitally, drop me a note at (redacted). I'd love to hear your story.
So you are now thinking: heddle, that's not surprising or offensive or entertaining or any of those things. It is seemingly a reasonable request on the A+ forum, given that the plus sign allegedly stands for social justice.

Ah-- the very fact that it is a reasonable, understandable post and doesn't read like a Sokal hoax should be a clue that backpackergirl is not the protagonist of the story, but the antagonist.

Go and read. If you know the A+ crowd it will reinforce what you already suspect. If you are new to them--prepare to be amazed.

PZ you magnificent , narcissistic, self-aggrandizing, chowder-headed caricature of a human being: Behold your legacy!


  1. I really shouldn't be amazed at that thread, but I truly am. Then I read some other threads there. Wow.

    I don't get what stupidity has to do with atheism, but they seem to have created a forum to combine the two for some reason.

  2. PZ you magnificent , narcissistic, self-aggrandizing, chowder-headed caricature of a human being

    I know PZ somewhat from conferences. He's neither narcissistic nor self-aggrandizing nor chowder-headed. He is a very bright and passionate guy, and a great writer - as you will see when his book comes out this year.

  3. Frankly, I think A+++ will be the best version.


    No Carrier, of course. ;)

  4. That was the most hilarious thread I have ever read.