Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Sunday School, Fall '09

The first session of the fall semester will be a six-to-eight week look at a classic: R. C. Sproul's Chosen by God. This short, highly readable introduction to Calvinism (via the imperfect yet helpful TULIP acrostic) is an absolute must-read for the student interested in learning about the very basics of doctrines of grace.

There is some fear that I'll be bringing coals to New Castle--but I think the series will be informative and fun.

I think I have already mentioned that when I first became a Christian I was a strong Arminian and a strong per-trib pre-mill dispensationalist. Two books radically changed my theology, because I found each presented interpretations much more aligned with scripture: Sproul's Chosen By God and Philip Mauro's The Gospel of the Kingdom (1928). 

What is an interesting aside to these two books is that they belie the notion that civility has gone the way of the dodo. Sproul's book, the more modern by far, is gracious in its attack on Armininianism. Mauro's book in its attack on dispensationalism--not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment