Thursday, April 10, 2008

Those Wacky Presbyterians

I love the doctrine of the Presbyterian Church (well, not so much the PC-USA). But only Presbyterians can mange get themselves tied up, time and time again, in such Gordian knots.

The Westminster Confession of Faith is, in my opinion, the greatest confession devised by men. However, as a general rule, the louder a Presbyterian says “Now, of course I understand that the WC is not to be taken as infallible scripture” the more I suspect that he is about to do exactly that.

I don’t really have an opinion on the in-house debate. I will say that I sometimes wonder if the bleeding edge scholars of Presbyterian (or, in general, Reformed) theology ever pauses to remember that the Perspicuity of Scripture was a time-honored Reformed doctrine.

HT: Sacra Doctrina

No comments:

Post a Comment