Tuesday, July 17, 2007

You’re not there, so leave me alone!

Over on Uncommon Descent there is a discussion about the lucrative nature of the new atheism. The pot-kettle-black aspect of IDists complaining that new atheists are making money selling books is too obvious, so let's not even bother going there.

One commenter, however, referred to a written debate between Douglas Wilson and Christopher Hitchens. The UD commenter points us to one point made by Wilson:
You say that you cannot believe that Christ's death on the Cross was salvation for the world because the idea is absurd. I have shown in various ways that absurdity has not been a disqualifier for any number of your current beliefs. You praise reason to the heights, yet will not give reasons for your strident and inflexible moral judgments, or why you have arbitrarily dubbed certain chemical processes "rational argument." That's absurd right now, and yet there you are, holding it. So for you to refuse to accept Christ because it is absurd is like a man at one end of the pool refusing to move to the other end because he might get wet. Given your premises, you will have to come up with a different reason for rejecting Christ as you do.

But for you to make this move would reveal the two fundamental tenets of true atheism. One: There is no God. Two: I hate Him.
Now, I’m no Doug Wilson fan. His intellectual arrogance completely turns me off. And his ability to attract a following in Reformed circles that reaches, in my opinion, unhealthy levels of fervency leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. (Plus I really dislike his views on Christian education.) Nevertheless, this comment is spot-on. The biblical view on atheists really is: they say there is no god, and they hate him.

No comments:

Post a Comment