Tuesday, June 11, 2002

Posts are in reverse chronological order.

Messianic Prophesies



I am starting a study of Messianic prophecies. It seems like a good idea to share some with the millions tens of readers of this blog.

Strong’s Concordance lists about 115 “Prophesies of the Messiah fulfilled in Jesus”. Below I present just a few that cover most of the significant events of Christ’s life.

Where would Jesus be born?

But as for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, Too little to be among the clans of Judah, From you One will go forth for Me to be ruler in Israel. His goings forth are from long ago, From the days of eternity." (Micah 5:2, NASB)

Virgin Birth

"Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel. (Isaiah 7:14, NASB)

Jesus’ Return from Egypt

When Israel was a youth I loved him, And out of Egypt I called My son. (Hosea 11:1, NASB-- For fulfillment of this prophesy, see Matthew 27:35)

The Deity of Christ

There will be no end to the increase of His government or of peace, On the throne of David and over his kingdom, To establish it and to uphold it with justice and righteousness From then on and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will accomplish this. (Isaiah 9:7, NASB)

I will be his father and he shall be My son; and I will not take My lovingkindness away from him, as I took it from him who was before you. (1 Chronicles 17:13, NASB)

John the Baptist: Christ’s Messenger in the Desert

A voice is calling, Clear the way for the LORD in the wilderness; Make smooth in the desert a highway for our God. (Isaiah 40:3, NASB)

Christ Teaching in Parables

I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings of old, (Psalms 78:2, NASB-- For fulfillment of this prophesy, see Matthew 13:35)

Christ Crucified

But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, And by His scourging we are healed. (Isaiah 53:5, NASB)

his corpse shall not hang all night on the tree, but you shall surely bury him on the same day (for (2) he who is hanged is accursed of God), so that you (3) do not defile your land which the LORD your God gives you as an inheritance. (Deuteronomy 21:23, NASB)

Casting Lots for His Clothes

They divide my garments among them, And for my clothing they cast lots. (Psalm 22:18, NASB-- For fulfillment of this prophesy, see Matthew 27:35)

He is Risen!

For You will not abandon my soul to Sheol; Nor will You allow Your Holy One to undergo decay. (Psalms 16:10, NASB)

Pentacost

"It will come about after this That I will pour out My Spirit on all mankind; And your sons and daughters will prophesy, Your old men will dream dreams, Your young men will see visions. "Even on the male and female servants I will pour out My Spirit in those days.(Joel 2: 28-28, NASB)

One Just Has to Wonder


I do not know how anyone could read these (and more than 100 others) and not be convinced that Christ was the promised Messiah and the Son of God. Actually I do know: faith itself is a gift of grace and not of our own doing:

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith–and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God (Eph 2:8, NIV).

Thank you, Lord, for quickening me. I was dead with nothing of my own to contribute except my sins and still you granted me mercy beyond compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment