Monday, May 20, 2002

Posts are in reverse chronological order.

The Genetic Excuse


I find myself in the minority of conservative Christians in the debate over whether homosexuals were “born that way” or “learned/chose” to be gay. Usually Christians say homosexuals are not born gay (and site scientific studies involving twins to prove their point.) Others will say homosexuals are born gay (and site scientific studies involving twins to prove their point.)

Aside: I find it annoying that some of the same Christians who demonize scientists (when it suits them) will refer to science (when it suits them). Exit soapbox.

Personally, I find it entirely plausible that some homosexuals are born that way. The important point: it doesn’t matter. And a Christian arguing forcefully that nobody is born a homosexual implies that it does matter; that the only reason homosexuality is a sin is that people freely choose to engage in it.

I believe this is an unsound argument. It invokes the secular view of free-will to explain sin-- when it is generally accepted (especially by we Calvinists) that this view of the free-will (that I can choose whatever I want, whenever I want, for no particular reason) is incompatible with God’s sovereignty. (And this view of free-will is also a logical impossibility -- but let's not go there.)

My position on this is that I believe some people are born with a proclivity towards homosexuality, just as some are born with a propensity to lie, gossip, steal, etc. It does not seem to bother Christians that we all are born with a natural tendency to sin; it only seems to be a problem for that one lightening-rod issue. I say it doesn’t matter if you were born that way, I was also born with a sin nature. You have to fight it just as I have to fight my particular weaknesses. And we are held accountable regardless. Of course we do know that, while the battle is life-long, victory through grace is possible:

No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. (1 Cor 10:13, NASB)

and

And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. (2 Cor 12:9, NASB)

Canine and Feline Theology


My son told me this one:

Dog: Wow! These people feed me, take care of me, and love me! They must be god!

Cat: Wow! These people feed me, take care of me, and love me! I must be god!

Of course, we dog-lovers have long understood that cats are minions of the antichrist.

No comments:

Post a Comment